Building the Bench
Emerging Professionals (EPs), Kentucky USGBC members out of school and under the age of 30, play an important role within our community. As the energetic and dynamic leaders of tomorrow’s green building movement, EPs provide our chapter with new volunteers who can continue the legacy of today’s chapter leaders.
We are a young professionals group within the Kentucky U.S. Green Building Council (KY USGBC). Our objective is to encourage emerging professionals to grow their community, chapter, and careers.
We seek to offer networking, volunteer, and service-oriented opportunities pertaining to the sustainable ("green") built environment.
We encourage you to join us if you are interested in healthy, high-performance, responsible design and sustainable building practices, are a young professional under 30, are interested in networking with statewide building professionals, or simply have a passion for thoughtful built environments. Membership is $35 for one year. Join HERE
Emerging Professionals build the bench for USGBC chapters
The Emerging Professional program benefits all stakeholders:
1. Emerging Professionals, including graduating students
- Network with peers and industry professionals regionally and nationally
- Connect with Student LEED alumni network
- Receive mentorship from industry leaders
- Explore various career fields
- Seek job opportunities and improve candidacy
- Develop leadership skills and enhance résumé through community service and other volunteer opportunities
- Gain industry expertise and maintain relevance through classroom education and hands-on experience
- Qualify and prepare for LEED Professional exams
- Receive free or discounted continuing education opportunities to maintain LEED Green Associate or AP credentials
- Create a digital green building résumé at usgbc.org
- Work on LEED project
- Grow employer’s brand awareness within green building community
- Instill and maintain relevant industry expertise in employees
- Develop leadership skills in employees
- Establish new industry peers and potential partners
- Equip workforce with USGBC insider knowledge and invaluable connections
3. Chapter Leadership
- EPs boost volunteer capacity and membership
- Bridge chapters with Student LEED Groups
- Train and prepare future chapter leaders
4. State Schools and Universities
- Connect students with industry contacts, mentors and potential employers
- Help students enhance their résumés, gain hands-on experience and develop leadership skills
- Strengthen school brand and alumni network
Emerging Professionals Leaders
Emerging Professionals Co-Chair
Emerging Professionals Co-Chair
Help us Build the Bench - Sponsor our Emerging Professionals
Kentucky USGBC is a community of member organizations, experienced professionals, Emerging Professionals, students and volunteers that are moving the building industry forward in a way that has never been seen before.
This diverse group of builders and environmentalists, corporations and nonprofits, teachers and students, lawmakers and citizens works together toward the vision of a sustainable environment for all within the next generation.
Emerging Professionals - Making a Difference in Kentucky
- The programs and activities of our rapidly growing EP group warranted a newly designated seat for the EP Chair on the Board of Directors.
- EPs have volunteered for, applied for, competed for, raised money from, and organized community projects including:
- Lots of Possibilities
- Green Apple Day of Service
- Citizen Forestry
- Mayor's Give A Day - tree planting
- Tree Planting in Portland
- NuLu Community Garden
- Dyescapes - Park(ing) Day
- SoBro Artwalks
- EP membership has increased from 5 in August 2013 to 34 in August 2014, exceeding a national goal of 24 new memberships!
- Our EPs are active in other civic and professional organizations: AIA, Women In Design, IFMA, BOMA, NSPE, ASLA, SMPS, PMP, YPAL.
- Our EP Chair attended Greenbuild 2013.
- An EP received a full scholarship to Greenbuild 2014!
Kentucky USGBC Emerging Professionals - Activities
Dyescapes Volunteer Day
Kentucky USGBC Emerging Professionals had a great weekend constructing raised planting beds with Dyescapes and Kentucky Chapter of ASLA! See more photos HERE
Member Volunteers Needed for Forecastle
Volunteer for one shift and receive admission to Forecastle for the day.
Forecastle 2015: July 17-19